All health screenings are on hold for the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The State of New York mandates that health related screenings be completed in our schools each year. The requirements are as follows:
- Scoliosis Screening: Must be administered at least once each school year for:
- Boys: Grade 9
- Girls: Grades 5 & 7
- Vision Screening:
- Color Perception: New Entrants
- Near Vision: Kindergarten or New Entrants, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11
- Distance Acuity*: Kindergarten or New Entrants, Grades 1 ,3, 5, 7 and 11 (Distance Acuity required in K whether or not that is the entry year for the district)
- Hearing Screening: Kindergarten or New Entrants, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11
- Pure Tone
Vision and Hearing Screenings must be completed within six months of admission to school.
If there are any unusual findings, or cause for concern, the school nurse will contact you. In the event that additional evaluation is needed, a referral form will be sent home for you to take to your private healthcare provider.
Children need to “learn to be healthy” and need to be “healthy to learn!”
If you have any questions or concerns, please call your school's Health Office.